Week 13 - The Killing Joke (2 points)

 

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

    I am… exhausted? That was a lot of serious moments and graphic content for not a lot of pay off. I found the idea that “it just takes one bad day to make a person crazy” is coming from a disingenuous place. The word running through my mind was “edgelord.” As in, an embittered pessimist who thinks they are very smart probably wrote this. Many real living people have gone through intense heartache, more than I could ever understand, but they do not become crazed murderers. The premise that “one bad day” could make such people insane is difficult for me to believe. Ultimately Joker chooses to do what he does.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

    I found I connected with the worst parts, I think. I did not relate to the Joker or Batman. In my opinion, they don’t really represent people here but rather ideas. And I disagree with those ideas so there was not much to be found. The seemingly random disabling and assault of Barbara Gordon however? I related to her the most. Sometime very very bad things happen for reasons you’ll never understand.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

    The art is well executed, I’ll give it that. The imagery of the comic is graphic and striking. I believe it would translate well into animation. But an animated version of this would probably be a retread of the ideas already discussed. So how about a book? There are some complex ideas trying to be expressed here, and a novel would allow us to get more into the character’s heads so they could describe their experiences and feelings in more detail. Also, as a final change, I would pick an ending. In some ways, an ending was picked, confirming that Batman and Joker will endlessly fight eachother. Batman will try to do the right thing and Joker will do the wrong thing. What if Batman did just kill him? What if there’s a sequel where Barbara kills him? How would one go about rehabilitating the Joker anyways? I think none of these would happen since the Joker being alive helps sell more comic books.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

    Again, it has an uncommon non-ending. It’s very open ended. Most superhero stories also don’t show such explicitly graphic content. The Killing Joke is trying to be high concept while most superhero media does not. It’s trying to make you think. And I have thought. I think whoever wrote this needs to go outside.

Comments

Popular Posts