Week 14 - Megg, Mogg and Owl (5 points)

     Well, that was a horrible experience. I read Megg, Mogg and Owl cover to cover and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I am the responsible narc that is Owl and I wanted him to leave these horrible people behind. But alas, the status quo was unchanged from the beginning of the comic.

    I get the sense that the author is drawing from very specific people and memories. This comic scares me because while it is simple and stupid, it feels too real? Like I’ve met people who’ve done things like this although not to the same extreme. As a college student who has been through 4 years of watching other people (and myself) learn to live on their own, I have been truly amazed at the absolute mess some people are content to live in. As in, they never clean their apartment, food is rotting on the counter, flies are gathering, clothes everywhere, I CAN’T DO IT. Well. I can do it for another 6 months until I graduate.

    Owl calling out his roommates on their bullshit only to get punished, yelled at or beat up by them is upsetting. I was sad that at the end Owl happily returns to them and they have a “family” moment but that sucks. I’m in an owl moment right now and I’m trying to figure out how to exit this situation. The comic became completely unrelatable at that point.

    There was no arc, I learned nothing and I think I am worse off for reading this. An example of “trippy” media that does drug trips, self-loathing and eventual revelation way better is The Midnight Gospel on Netflix. I highly recommend it to those who are into that sort of thing. I do not recommend Megg, Mogg, and Owl.

Comments

Popular Posts